cc-metadata - Fwd: Magnatune: How do you try before you buy?

cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: discussion of the Creative Commons Metadata work

  • From: Kevin Marks <cc AT mediagora.com>
  • To: cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Fwd: Magnatune: How do you try before you buy?
  • Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2003 17:55:39 -0700

Issues with CC confusion here.

Begin forwarded message:

From: John Buckman <john AT magnatune.com>
Date: Wed Oct 8, 2003 12:32:47 PM US/Pacific
To: Janko Roettgers <janko.roettgers AT web.de>
Cc: pho AT onehouse.com
Subject: re: Magnatune: How do you try before you buy? (Re: pho: Magnatune in Wired news today)

Magnatune makes heavy use of shareware and file sharing in it's
rhetoric, suggesting you could somehow try the music and then
eventually buy it if you find it worth paying. However,
visiting your site all I found was some streams. There was no chance
to download any of the tracks in order to try or share it.

Streams are what the vast majority of users want, because I can queue up an album's worth and the music starts immediately. So, that's what the user interface features most prominently.

Downloading of songs is available, by clicking 'license' and then choosing "Non-Commercial (Creative Commons)".

You then get a page which says:
---
No paid license is required for non-commercial use.

You must meet the legal requirement for "non-commercial use" as defined by the Creative Commons License which governs all Magnatune MP3 files.

Please note that if you are a "non-profit institution" this does not necessarily imply that your use is "non-commercial". Please consult the license for details.

You must abide by the Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike use restrictions placed by the license.

If you meet these requirements, you may now download the MP3s for this album.
--

It's a little out the way, because I found that when I made downloading super-easy (ie, no legal 'non-commercial use' warning), commercial users of music were using the music w/o a license, seeing "creative commons" (but not reading the license) and "download" and thinking "great, royalty-free music!" -- so I wanted to give those folks a "heads up" about what use was allowed. Yes, I really did get email like that.

Not that this is essentially wrong. I certainly don't think every
musician has to offer MP3 downloads on his page. But in light of your
rhetoric - and the Creative Commons license which now only seems to
allow stuff that is not possible without buying the tracks - it makes
me wonder if all that talk about "open music" is a little exaggerated?

Creative Commons users can download w/o buying, and I know of a few film schools that send their students to Magnatune as a source for music in the class projects, and I really like and encourage that kind of thing.

-john