cc-metadata - Re: Java & Creative Commons Licenses

cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: discussion of the Creative Commons Metadata work

  • From: "Mike Linksvayer" <ml AT creativecommons.org>
  • To: cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: Java & Creative Commons Licenses
  • Date: Tue, 02 Sep 2003 10:56:52 -0700

On Tue, 2 Sep 2003 11:29:48 -0400, "Susheel Daswani"
<sdaswani AT limepeer.com> said:
> My name is Susheel Daswani. I'm a software engineer at Lime Wire LLC
> - we produce the world's most popular cross-platform Gnutella client,
> LimeWire. We have just started a project to integrate Creative Commons
> licenses into the LimeWire client. We want to make it easy for users
> to flag their content under Creative Commons licenses in addition to
> search for and identify Creative Commons content easily.

Welcome! This is great news.

> Since the open-source LimeWire client is written in Java, I was
> wondering if there are any preexisting Creative Commons Java
> implementations. I haven't been able to find any but I wanted to make
> sure before we started this effort. If not, we will make available our
> implementation under the GPL.

Sorry, no Java code available.

> I'm currently in the process of attempting to understand the RDF and
> metadata format of CC licenses. I'm sure I'll have questions so expect
> e-mails in the future :) .

We're very eager to help :) .

You probably already know this, but the key page to understand is
<http://creativecommons.org/learn/technology/metadata/implement>
and since you're working on a P2P application
<http://creativecommons.org/learn/technology/nonweb>.