cc-metadata - Re: flow chart of overall license system

cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: discussion of the Creative Commons Metadata work

  • From: Mike Linksvayer <ml AT creativecommons.org>
  • To: cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc: Community Studios <community_studios AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: flow chart of overall license system
  • Date: Mon, 04 Aug 2003 19:18:00 -0400

tom poe wrote:
Hi: In following the flow of information accompanying mp3 license info,
it occurs to me that to prevent altering of licenses by others, it would
be important for every artist to be able to have their unique web site
include a verification page for their works, and for the public to be an
informed public that will check that page religiously.

This would entail a Public Service Awareness campaign much like the
"Just Say NO!" campaign, or "Buckle Up!" campaign.

You've got the picture, but the embedded license claim and verification page/RDF are primarily intended for use by programs. My goal is to get programs such as media players and filesharing clients to read, verify and display license status. If there ever was to be a PSA campaign around this, its goal would be to inform people what a "sharing ok" icon that might appear next to a file that has been verified means, not that people should manually check verification pages.

Since that's not happening, is there a central repository like Internet
Archive that might offer a resource that could be integrated in metadata
statement?

If you're asking whether a central site would publish verification pages for creators who can't -- there won't be any central site, but that's certainly a service that any number of sites offer to customers. Any site that provides hosting or other services to musicians would be a logical candidate. Will be able to post a couple examples of this soon, I hope.

  • Re: flow chart of overall license system, Mike Linksvayer, 08/04/2003