cc-metadata - Re: cc metadata for rss feeds question

cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: discussion of the Creative Commons Metadata work

  • From: Mike Linksvayer <ml AT creativecommons.org>
  • To: cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: cc metadata for rss feeds question
  • Date: Mon, 04 Aug 2003 18:57:54 -0400

tom poe wrote:
Hi: I need to find out what is best way to include info for .ogg files
and creative commons license when setting up rss feed for our music
repository.

See <http://creativecommons.org/learn/technology/usingmarkup> for instructions regarding CC license metadata in RSS 1.0 and RSS 2.0 feeds.

In either case you'll want to include a CC license for each item in the feed.

The idea is that each listing should be forwarded to an rss feed app and
available as a site for downloadable songs in .ogg file format and each
song from the site will have registered with the Creative Commons
Project.

You can't register a work with CC -- perhaps you mean that each song is available under a CC license?

The first thought, is that the site is registered with the Creative
Commons Project, and each song is registered by the creator of the song,
so it wouldn't be necessary to include it in the rss feed. But, maybe
there's an easy way to include it, just to enhance exposure for the
Creative Commons Project?

As above, nothing is registered with CC. The creator of a work encoded in an audio file can embed a license claim in their audio file(s) following our guidelines <http://creativecommons.org/learn/technology/nonweb>. We haven't published a recommendation for ogg files yet, but you could place the license claim statement outlined for the TCOP ID3 frame for MP3s <http://creativecommons.org/learn/technology/mp3> in the ogg's LICENSE comment.

The RSS feed should include licenses. If all of the ogg files are available to the program that generates your RSS feed, it would be cool to generate license info in your RSS feed by reading and verifying the license info embedded in the ogg files as above.

Apologies for taking so long to reply. Let me know if any of the above doesn't make sense, or doesn't work for you.

  • Re: cc metadata for rss feeds question, Mike Linksvayer, 08/04/2003