cc-metadata - Re: Usage question for cclookup and cctag

cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: discussion of the Creative Commons Metadata work

  • From: Mike Linksvayer <ml AT creativecommons.org>
  • To: cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: Usage question for cclookup and cctag
  • Date: Sun, 13 Jul 2003 09:23:31 -0400

Ryan Booker wrote:
As we were discussing last week, I'm now trying to use the perl scripts
cclookup and cctag.

I'm a perl novice, so what do I need to do to use these on linux.

First, save cctag.pl and cclookup.pl from <http://cctools.sf.net>. Right click on the links and choose "Save Link Target As..."

Open a shell and cd to the directory where you saved the files. Make them executable.

chmod +x cctag.pl cclookup.pl

At this point you can try to run one of them

./cctag.pl

It will probably fail due to all of the perl modules it requires not being installed.

Required perl modules are documented in README-cctag.txt, available via the aforementioned URL, with relevant portion copied below. (I haven't packaged these yet, that's why each file needs to be downloaded individually. People comfortable with CVS can use that.) cctag requires a superset of the modules required by cclookup, so you don't need to look the latter's README.

Before installing the Perl modules you'll have to install one C library used by one of the perl modules. Probably the easiest way to install the library is by downloading <ftp://rpmfind.net/linux/sourceforge/rpmsforsuse/id3lib-3.8.3-1.i386.rpm> and using rpm to install, e.g.,

rpm -Uvh id3lib-3.8.3-1.i386.rpm

You could also download and build from source via <http://id3lib.sf.net>.

The easiest way to install Perl modules is by running

perl -MCPAN -e shell

In the CPAN shell, type

install <module name>

for each required module, i.e.,

install Convert::Base32
install MP3::Tag
install MP3::ID3Lib

These commands will download and install the modules and any modules they depend upon. After running exiting the CPAN shell, try running cctag.pl as above. If it still complains you might try installing the modules listed below following "These are probably already installed."

Assuming you get this far (argh, painful, I know, sorry!) the READMEs/help printed out when you run the scripts with no arguments should be relatively crystal clear.

Please bug me if anything doesn't work for you!

Mike

PREREQUISITES
You will probably have to install these:

Convert::Base32
http://search.cpan.org/author/MIYAGAWA/Convert-Base32/

MP3::Tag
http://search.cpan.org/author/THOGEE/tagged/

Tagged requires
http://search.cpan.org/author/PMQS/Compress-Zlib/ which you
may need to install.

MP3::ID3Lib
http://search.cpan.org/author/LBROCARD/MP3-ID3Lib-0.12/

MP3::ID3Lib requires the C library
http://id3lib.sourceforge.net.

Note that in order to compile id3lib on OS X you will need
to pass a flag to configure:

./configure CXX=g++2

These are probably already installed:

Digest::SHA1