cc-metadata - Re: implementation of verification page

cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: discussion of the Creative Commons Metadata work

  • From: "Ryan Booker" <ryanbooker AT kromestudios.com>
  • To: <cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: implementation of verification page
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2003 09:17:10 +1000

Firstly, the download/discography page being the same as a the
verification page is a great idea. Fits my overall site plan better
too. ;)

Secondly, responses....

Mike answered Ryan:
> === TCOP (Copyright message): 2003, The Buzzeddie Family. Some
Rights
> Reserved. Licensed under
> http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nd-nc/1.0/ verify at
> http://buzzeddie.com/verify/verify.php?title=pinstripe,album=talking
> just to feel safe
>
> * The second URL should be encoded, like

http://buzzeddie.com/verify/verify.php?title=pinstripe,album=talking%2
0just%20to%20feel%20safe

No problem. Probaly wont need that at all, considering the above
discography/verification page comments...

> * The hash published at the above URL doesn't match that of the file
at

<http://buzzeddie.com/data/mp3/The_Buzzeddie_Family_-_Talking_Just_To_
Feel_Safe_-_07_-_Pinstripe.mp3>

I'm not sure what you mean by "the hash"? Please clarify, I'm keen to
iron all this out before putting the "real" site and content live.

> * The content of TCOP should be "2003 The Buzzeddie Family licensed
> the public under http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nd-nc/1.0/
> verify at

http://buzzeddie.com/verify/verify.php?title=pinstripe,album=talking%2
0just%20to%20feel%20safe"

No problem. Didn't realise this was a standard, I only thought the
"verify at" was the standard. Makes sense to have a complete TCOP
standard.

> * Also, not required but nice: the verification page should include
> download link. Ideally the normal album/song or whatever page a
user
> would navigate to on your website would also serve as the
verification
> page. Again, this isn't strictly necessary, but some people have
> pointed out to me that making the download and verification page one
and

Yeah it definately would have a download link in the final site.
Those verify pages were just examples. As stated above the
discography/verification being one in the same is a great idea.

> the same aids the curious user who views source or views mp3
metadata
> and also aids search engines -- each can easily discover the file,
> download page and the RDF metadata starting from either the file or
the
> download/verification page.

Also puts it in the users face when they visit the site rather than
them having to follow a link buried in a file they probably wont look
at. This would serve the purpose of raising awareness of the use of
embedded licenses and that there are artists who value the ability to
trade files and the benefits trading gives listeners and musicians (at
least those who aren't madonna).

> Thanks a ton for working through this! I'll definitely refine our
> guidelines based on your experience.

No problem. I live in Australia, but have been following creative
commons and "lessig"'s work since learning of them. Really great
ideas. Getting the mug punter to understand and/or care is now the
challenge.

We don't even have a real fair use doctrine in this country, which
makes open licenses even more important. I wonder if it could be
extended to explicitly add fair use rights etc to a hard media (ie
CD).

Cheers,
Ryan