cc-metadata - Re: embedding metadata in MIDI?

cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: discussion of the Creative Commons Metadata work

  • From: "Mike Linksvayer" <ml AT creativecommons.org>
  • To: cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: embedding metadata in MIDI?
  • Date: Mon, 09 Jun 2003 10:41:38 -0800

John Kwasnik wrote:
> It looks to me like your method for embedding metadata in MP3 files
> can be extended to MIDI files as well. While the MIDI file format does
> not have a place reserved for copyright info, there are text fields (track
> titles, track markers) where URIs can be placed.

Great idea. Could you point us at a reference for MIDI metadata
standards? Suggest fields we should use?

> However, the URI would not be clickable, unless all MIDI players
> were written to allow that ... one would have to cut and paste.

That's the case with any format. If the player/viewer/reader/browser
doesn't render metadata with clickable URIs, the user must copy and
paste. Unfortunately such is the case even for most MP3 players, but I
don't consider it that big of a deal. Usually the user has to work a bit
to even find the metadata.

> And unfortunately, each field only allows one terminating return,
> so I haven't figured out how to embed the rdf directly.

I don't consider lack of ability to embed RDF directly in a file a fatal
obstacle -- we aren't even making an initial recommendation for embedding
RDF in a MP3 ID3 frame. However, RDF/XML may be rendered without
newlines, so embedding in a field that uses a newline for termination is
not a problem.

Thanks!
Mike
Mike Linksvayer
ml AT creativecommons.org

  • embedding metadata in MIDI?, John Kwasnik, 06/08/2003
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: embedding metadata in MIDI?, Mike Linksvayer, 06/09/2003