cc-metadata - Ogg and JPEG format metadata?

cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: discussion of the Creative Commons Metadata work

  • From: ken AT restivo.org
  • To: metadata AT creativecommons.org
  • Subject: Ogg and JPEG format metadata?
  • Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2003 01:01:33 -0800

Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2003 09:52:21 -0600
To: ken AT restivo.org
From: Aaron Swartz <me AT aaronsw.com>
Subject: Re: Ogg and JPEG format metadata?

> Problem is, these are audio and photographic works in the JPEG and
> Ogg Vorbis format. I'm not clear how to embed my license data into
> these formats.

For Oggs, they've added a license field to the comment system:

LICENSE:
License information, eg, 'All Rights Reserved', 'Any Use
Permitted', a
URL to a license such as a Creative Commons license
("www.creativecommons.org/
blahblah/license.html") or the EFF Open Audio License
('distributed under the terms
of the Open Audio License. see
http://www.eff.org/IP/Open_licenses/eff_oal.html for
details'), etc.

- http://www.xiph.org/ogg/vorbis/doc/v-comment.html

> For now, I've just put the URL to the CC license in a Comment field in
> the JPEGs. Not sure if this makes sense. I can do the same with the
> Ogg's.

Yeah, for JPEGs I'd add something like "under
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/a-b-c/1.0";

> But ultimately I'd like to embed the license and metadata in some
> binary
> format that takes up less space.

You mean the full description of license characteristics? Yeah, I
wonder whether it's worth adding to space-constrained formats like
these.
--
Aaron Swartz [http://www.aaronsw.com/]

  • Ogg and JPEG format metadata?, ken, 02/26/2003