cc-metadata - suggestion: addition to Requirements: "Privacy"

cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: discussion of the Creative Commons Metadata work

  • From: Fen Labalme <fen AT comedia.com>
  • To: cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: suggestion: addition to Requirements: "Privacy"
  • Date: 30 Jan 2003 21:12:16 -0800

I would like to see the addition of an optional Privacy requirement added to
the list of rights characteristics.

This is important to me as I have over 15,000 high resolution photos online,
with over 90% in private directories only available to the party of people
present at the occasion. I definitely expect this to become important to more
people in the future.

I created a "Privacy-enhanced Free Digital Image License" to protect my photos
and the people in them (see <http://pix.fen.net/fdil.html>).

Based on the MIT/BSD license, this license aims to allow personal, non-profit
use so friends can download and print photos of themselves and their friends.
In addition, it allows public or commercial use of the photos if the privacy
of any people in the photo is protected (e.g., stock shots with no
recognizable people or written permission from the people in the photos).

Here are example directories of photos with the boilerplate at the top:
http://pix.fen.net/Activism/20021210-EFF/
http://pix.fen.net/2003/0118-Peace/

I am also open to any suggestions/comments/criticisms to improve the wording
of the FDIL if the Creative Commons does not want to add such a clause.

Best,
Fen

--
Fen Labalme GPG/PGP key: <http://www.fen.net/pgpkeys.shtml>
http://www.OpenPrivacy.org

  • suggestion: addition to Requirements: "Privacy", Fen Labalme, 01/31/2003