cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] input requested: FAL/BY-SA compatibility - attribution

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Federico Morando <federico.morando AT gmail.com>
  • To: Development of Creative Commons licenses <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] input requested: FAL/BY-SA compatibility - attribution
  • Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2014 17:06:11 +0200

On 19/08/2014 15:27, Sarah Pearson wrote:
On Sun, Aug 17, 2014 at 6:27 PM, Engel Nyst <engel.nyst AT gmail.com> wrote:

In this case, the adaptation license has to be interpreted as both FAL
and CC-BY-SA 4.0, each for the respective material. Is this a correct
interpretation?

Based on our discussions with the FAL stewards before this process began, my understanding is that the compatible license (in this case, BY-SA 4.0) would be the only license that applied to the adaptation in that scenario. The FAL stewards are following this discussion, and I hope they will weigh in to correct me if I misunderstood. They would, of course, have the authoritative interpretation on how the FAL works.
My general comment is just: +1 to Mike's analysis.

However, more for theoretical than for practical purposes, I would be very interested in knowing the feedback of the FAL stewards to the aforementioned question. (In other words, given a CC-BY-SA 4.0 licensed derivative work of a FAL original work, is CC-BY-SA the only relevant license from the downstream licensee point of view?)

Best,

Federico
(CC Italy lead)