cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] NoDerivs and Sharealike are not opposites; should be a ND-SA option

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Heather Morrison <hgmorris AT sfu.ca>
  • To: Development of Creative Commons licenses <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] NoDerivs and Sharealike are not opposites; should be a ND-SA option
  • Date: Mon, 6 May 2013 11:53:16 -0700

On 28-Apr-13, at 9:36 AM, Kim Tucker wrote:

Creative Commons license users need to free themselves from the
"property" mindset and disassociate the issues of freedom and price...

Comment: while Kim's argument is in opposition to NC, I would argue that granting blanket commercial uses also reflects a "property" mindset. For that matter, all CC licenses reflect a "property" mindset - CC-BY reflects a proactive claim of moral rights, and even CC-0 involves waiving rights.

This is one concern that I have about CC licenses overall - the process of thinking about intellectual property every time we create something, reinforces the concept of intellectual property.

For this reason I am hoping that CC can be a bridge to a world where we think less about ownership of ideas and creative works, a necessary stage to break the ridiculous concept of automatic copyright. There may always be some works for which CC licensing is the best option, but open sharing with broad fair dealing rights and limitations on the need for things like attribution for most works would be optimal.

This is more a question of how and whether CC licenses are used rather than wording of the license per se, but perhaps useful context for framing plans on wording of the license.

best,

Dr. Heather Morrison
The Imaginary Journal of Poetic Economics
http://poeticeconomics.blogspot.com