cc-licenses - [cc-licenses] 4.0 Status Update

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Diane Peters <diane AT creativecommons.org>
  • To: Development of Creative Commons licenses <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [cc-licenses] 4.0 Status Update
  • Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2012 15:36:12 -0800

Greetings all,

Try as we might, we are not going to be ready to publish draft 3 for public comment before the holidays.  I do want to provide a quick status update, however, and let you know what you can expect in the new year as we drive toward conclusion on 4.0.

My best estimate is that draft 3 will be published about the second week of January.  We're working through some final policy decisions and drafting particulars related to sui generis database rights with affiliates in jurisdictions where those exist.  Another main focus is compatibility of the SA licenses with licenses outside the CC suite.  We're also undertaking a careful review of the licenses with an eye on usability, both in terms of language but also as regards third party rights.  Some of you may recall that this last issue involves how we should best deal with the complexities of copyright and multiple rights holders while still enabling reuse of CC-licensed works.  We continue working on alternatives for addressing that in a balanced manner.

With publication of draft 3, we'll start discussion in earnest on compatibility, porting, content of the deed, and similar issues.  We are all looking forward to this next comment round and your feedback on draft 3.

A word of thanks to all of you from all of us here at CC.  This versioning process has been lengthy (as expected), but the final product is within view and is better because of you.  We are grateful for your considered input and constructive ideas, and most of all for pushing us hard on issues important to you.

Many thanks, and best for 2013.

Diane

  • [cc-licenses] 4.0 Status Update, Diane Peters, 12/21/2012