cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Synching update

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: drew Roberts <zotz AT 100jamz.com>
  • To: Development of Creative Commons licenses <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Synching update
  • Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2012 18:48:26 -0400

On Tuesday 11 September 2012 17:40:38 Kat Walsh wrote:
> We have previously committed that we would not narrow the scope of
> Share-Alike
> [http://wiki.creativecommons.org/CC_Attribution-ShareAlike_Intent], so we
> are leaving this exception in the SA licenses. However, we have also chosen
> not to broaden the scope of Share-Alike in 4.0, as
> previously expressed [http://wiki.creativecommons.org/4.0/ShareAlike].
> Instead, we intend the operation of the Share-Alike term to result in
> a Share-Alike work for all cases where an Adaptation is created, and
> not to come into effect where there is no Adaptation.

And since I see little hope of dropping NC and ND this round, I guess I will
be switching to BY-NC-SA (for certain types of works like photos, a sad day
for me really) and trying to write my own commercial use exception so long as
my photos only end up in Free works, even where there is no adaptation.

Can you give some insight as to why the SA protection for photos was left in
the weak state it has been explained to be in? Why does someone's photo used
in a book deserve less SA protection than someones sound recording used in a
video?