cc-licenses - [cc-licenses] Synching update

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Kat Walsh <kat AT creativecommons.org>
  • To: cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [cc-licenses] Synching update
  • Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2012 14:40:38 -0700

We've been busy working on the next draft and will be taking the
opportunity between now and then to wind up on some outstanding
issues.

One of the loose threads we've considered is the proposal to expand
the synchronization exception
in the Share-Alike licenses to other kinds of content, including games
and game assets. The current language in the SA licenses provides for
"the synchronization of the Work in timed-relation with a moving
image" to be considered an Adaptation, and the result required to be
Share-Alike, but does not make specific reference to other types of
content.

This was included as a particular exception and will continue to be
supported to avoid major changes to license users' expectations, but
we have decided to leave this provision as it currently is and not to
add any other exceptions.

We believe that the current Share-Alike language already covers the
result created by combining different types of media into a new,
larger work where an Adaptation is created. (This may happen even
where the original licensed work itself has not been modified.)
However, the synching provision covers even a result that does not
create an Adaptation (and is instead a mere aggregation).

We have previously committed that we would not narrow the scope of
Share-Alike
[http://wiki.creativecommons.org/CC_Attribution-ShareAlike_Intent],
so we are leaving this exception in the SA licenses. However, we have
also chosen not to broaden the scope of Share-Alike in 4.0, as
previously expressed [http://wiki.creativecommons.org/4.0/ShareAlike].
Instead, we intend the operation of the Share-Alike term to result in
a Share-Alike work for all cases where an Adaptation is created, and
not to come into effect where there is no Adaptation.

-Kat

--
Kat Walsh, Counsel
Creative Commons