cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] The termination provision

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Anthony <osm AT inbox.org>
  • To: Development of Creative Commons licenses <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] The termination provision
  • Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2012 18:37:29 -0400

On Mon, Aug 27, 2012 at 6:17 PM, Anthony <osm AT inbox.org> wrote:
> In terms of specifics, I think GPLv3, section 8, is fine.

Here's my understanding of how it works.

If you violate the license, your license is terminated. There is no
grace period or anything like that.

If you cease all violations, then your license is automatically
reinstated provisionally. There is now a 60 day period under which
the copyright holder can notify you of the violation and terminate
your license permanently.

However, if you're a "first time offender", and you cure the violation
within 30 days of receiving the notice, then your license isn't
terminated.

Regardless of any termination and/or reinstatement, and regardless of
how long ago the infringement was (within the applicable statute of
limitations, anyway), you are liable for any past copyright
infringement if the copyright holder wants to sue. We hope that
people won't be suing each other over minor offenses, and we hope that
if they do the courts will not grant them large awards, but the
license leaves this up to the copyright holder and the courts.