cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] third party rights

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: drew Roberts <zotz AT 100jamz.com>
  • To: Development of Creative Commons licenses <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] third party rights
  • Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2012 09:45:38 -0400

On Thursday 23 August 2012 12:42:12 Dj Everette wrote:
> Documenting the source is standard operating procedure around copyrighted
> materials in private, government & academic environments. That is all I am
> asking your contributors to do. In this case contributors have misquoted
> archived newspaper sources and confused other elements with invalid
> information and pictures. Doesn't add value to world knowledge if incorrect
> and grossly wrong.  DJE

By private it looks like you mean private business or private enterprise.

The problem with this is that every fixed creative work pretty much gets
automatic copyright protection. If you think we all have the lack of
ignorance to correctly navigate the intricacies of copyright law even with
honest efforts or that all of us make honest efforts, I would say you are
mistaken. Nor can we afford to take the recommended legal advice for every
instance of a creative work we fix and distribute.

This situation is unlikely to get better in this regard until the law gets
better and simpler.