cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] third party rights

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: drew Roberts <zotz AT 100jamz.com>
  • To: Development of Creative Commons licenses <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] third party rights
  • Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2012 10:29:03 -0400

On Wednesday 22 August 2012 15:53:59 Paul Keller wrote:
> This approach is not only more in line with user expectations and the deed
> but also more logical. It is of course much easier for a creator to obtain
> permission to license from her co-creators (or rights holders of material
> used in the work) than it would be for a random licensee to obtain separate
> CC licenses from all other rights holders.

But the problem with that is if a person shoots a video in public places
entirely on his own, how do they know if that statue they passed by is in the
video enough to require them to seek permission? What about the picture hung
on the wall of the office they passed through? Etc. Are only legal experts or
creatives with a legal department allowed to safely use cc licenses?

Granted, this is not an easy thing to solve and my ignorant take is that this
is largely due to the crazy complexity of copyright and surrounding rights.