cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Suggestion for CC 4.0: Make a universal license that works for all.

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Anthony <osm AT inbox.org>
  • To: pcreso AT pcreso.com, Development of Creative Commons licenses <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Suggestion for CC 4.0: Make a universal license that works for all.
  • Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2012 20:34:18 -0400

Copyright doesn't cover "having" or "using".  And it possibly doesn't cover the data you're talking about either.  Database rights are waived under CC-BY-NC 3.0.

But most relevantly, I don't think there's much purpose in "having" or "using" the data if you can't make any money from it.  Last I checked, the science/research community, as well as the general public, pretty much universally makes money.

The benefit to the public is that you have allowed the public to download the data.  Not that you've slapped an NC license on it.