cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Aggregation and Stronger SA

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Arne Babenhauserheide <arne_bab AT web.de>
  • To: cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Aggregation and Stronger SA
  • Date: Sun, 06 May 2012 00:44:12 +0200

Am Freitag, 4. Mai 2012, 21:55:02 schrieb drew Roberts:
> > Wait, are you claiming that a Debian CD (or DVD) is not an
> > "aggregate" (as defined in the GNU GPL v3)?
>
> No, it is an aggregate and that is why I say that the gplv3 is not a
> good enough license to do what is needed for photos and such. It is why
> I want the next BY-SA to do more than that.

This sounds like you actually want to make Debian CDs with your photos
illegal. In that case, I disagree: It is not what I want from a free license.

The big issue for me is that I want two things:

1. Debian should be able to ship my creative works alongside unfree works.
2. A video-DVD which uses my music as background music should have to be free
(and have to at least offer to ship my sources, too¹).

Going further: I also don’t want it to be illegal to show my GPL-licensed
website in an online newsreader. Or in a public terminal using unfree software
(like an internet café).

Just doing one of these would be easy. Getting both right is hard. Getting
both perfect might be impossible. But we might be able to get the GPL to do
both well enough.

¹: That level of protection is not what everyone needs, because it is
inconvenient for artists to have to provide sources to everything they create.
That is where I see the need for cc by-sa. Breaking that is a no-go for me.

Best wishes,
Arne
--
singing a part of the history of free software:

- http://infinite-hands.draketo.de