cc-licenses - [cc-licenses] attribution [was Re: 4.0 draft ready for public comment]

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Luis Villa <luis AT tieguy.org>
  • To: Development of Creative Commons licenses <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [cc-licenses] attribution [was Re: 4.0 draft ready for public comment]
  • Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2012 21:57:33 -0700

On Mon, Apr 9, 2012 at 9:00 PM, Sarah Pearson <sarah AT creativecommons.org>
wrote:
> Hi Anthony,
>
> Under v.3, licensees are obligated to provide the title of the work if doing
> so is " reasonable to the medium or means." The small adjustment to this
> obligation in v. 4 is that licensees are obligated to provide the title of
> the work "in any reasonable manner based on the medium or means used." In
> both versions, the title is only required if it is supplied by the licensor.
>
> We're very interested in hearing thoughts on how this obligation works in
> practice (especially when it comes to attribution stacking issues), and
> welcome any ideas on how to improve it in later drafts.

Relatedly, in the draft, I liked this language:

"If the resource referenced by the URI in (v) includes the information
contained in (i) – (iii), above, You need only include the URI to
satisfy those requirements."

In the most frequent use case I've seen in the wild (flickr reuse)
this requirement in the old licenses was frequently violated, and the
new language seems to preserve the intent of the old license
(reasonable attribution) while making compliance simpler and more
likely.

Luis

  • [cc-licenses] attribution [was Re: 4.0 draft ready for public comment], Luis Villa, 04/10/2012