cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] TPM: please explicitly allow parallel distribution

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: pcreso AT pcreso.com
  • To: Development of Creative Commons licenses <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] TPM: please explicitly allow parallel distribution
  • Date: Sat, 7 Apr 2012 18:55:58 -0700 (PDT)

As far as data & software are concerned, they are often released under more than one licence. The user chooses which is appropriate for their needs, the rights holder enable whatever licences they desire. For a software example, see:
http://www.mysql.com/about/legal/licensing/index.html

The equivalent for a creative work -
- a book may be released under a CC-BY-NC licence, allowing individuals to download, but libraries charging for issuing the book are required to have a commercial licence.

- a dress pattern/design may be released under a CC- NC licence for personal use, to make your own clothes, but a commercial licence is required to make clothes for sale based on the design.

So it seems that in the software, data & creative worlds there are realistic use cases that make support for parallel licences at least useful, & in some cases, required. DRM is only one such case (of parallel licencing).

CC needs to decide if it is trying to devise suitably wide ranging licences to facilitate these situations, or only open licences which will not meet such needs. If the intent is only to provide licences to meet certain situations, then this should be clear & explicit, & the use cases where a CC licence is not appropriate should be explained.

Brent Wood