cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] TPM: please explicitly allow parallel distribution

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Francesco Poli <invernomuto AT paranoici.org>
  • To: cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] TPM: please explicitly allow parallel distribution
  • Date: Sat, 7 Apr 2012 19:54:19 +0200

On Fri, 06 Apr 2012 12:51:41 +0100 Rob Myers wrote:

> On 04/05/2012 06:56 PM, Francesco Poli wrote:
> >
> > This is the infamous anti-DRM (or anti-TPM, if you prefer) clause,
> > probably the most controversial part of CC-v3.0 licenses.
>
> The anti-TPM measures of the CC licenses are required in order to ensure
> that individuals can fully exercise the freedom protected by the licenses.

I agree, but they should not forbid a scenario where the freedom
protected by the licenses can indeed be fully exercised. The parallel
distribution one is such a scenario.

> Parallel distribution represents a "let them eat cake" approach to this,
> and fails to learn the lessons of Tivoization.

The GNU GPL v3 fights against Tivoization, without forbidding *all* TPM.
It just ensures that the recipient of the work has the stuff needed to
exercise the freedom granted by the license.

I think that allowing parallel distribution would make it possible for
the work to reach some platforms, while granting freedom to the
recipients of the work at the same time.

Forbidding parallel distribution, instead, just prevents the users of
some platforms from even coming into contact with the work. Those users
do not get more freedom because of this prohibition. On the other hand,
the users of unencumbered platforms are entirely unaffected, I would
say.

[...]
> DRM makes the CC licenses merely a gesture. If it's the case that DRM on
> cultural works is a good thing and the anti-TPM measures should be
> removed
[...]

I am *not* making this case at all.
I think DRM/TPM on works is a very *bad* thing, and I do *not* advocate
the complete removal of anti-TPM measures.

I am trying to ensure that we do not fight against DRM/TPM with
non-free restrictions: doing so defeats the very intent of the fight.

--
http://www.inventati.org/frx/frx-gpg-key-transition-2010.txt
New GnuPG key, see the transition document!