cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Time limited CC licenses for version 4.0?

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: drew Roberts <zotz AT 100jamz.com>
  • To: Development of Creative Commons licenses <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Time limited CC licenses for version 4.0?
  • Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2012 20:32:04 -0500

On Friday 13 January 2012 13:02:26 Gunnar Wolf wrote:
> drew Roberts dijo [Wed, Jan 11, 2012 at 01:39:54PM -0500]:
> > > That event could be anything clearly verifiable from the
> > > outside (such as the author's death, but not as somebody else
> > > mentioned on the list, the author receiving a given amount of money).
> >
> > Why not a certain amount of money? Surely something like a kickstarter
> > project would allow for easy verification.
>
> Because it is not verifiable from the outside.
>
> I can clearly tell you if year 2015 has already arrived. I can also
> look up and check whether an author is still alive. But I cannot
> (independently) verify whether the author did collect $5000 in
> royalties unless he explicitly publishes it.

Do you know how kickstarter works? From what I gather if you kick in and you
get charged, you know he got all of his money. If enough people do not kick
in to get to the amount, the whole deal is off and no one gets charged and
the project creator gets nothing.

Now, for people who do not kick in, perhaps we need kickstarted to keep a
list
of successfully funded projects? Do they keep one now?

> So, it'd end up being
> something completely based on trust (will he deliver on his promise?)
> and availability (does the author have a stable Internet presence
> where he can announce, maybe 15 years from now, that his work is now
> free?)

It is certainly not perfect in all cases as a date would be, but I think it
could be workable.

Especially if we want to view it as a bounty system or distributed patronage
system. (And it is only in this light that I have any real favour for this
idea.)