cc-licenses - [cc-licenses] Clarification for Non-Derivative License: grayscale from color not a derivative work

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Gregor Hagedorn <g.m.hagedorn AT gmail.com>
  • To: Development of Creative Commons licenses <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [cc-licenses] Clarification for Non-Derivative License: grayscale from color not a derivative work
  • Date: Sun, 1 Jan 2012 20:56:30 +0100

As far as I understand, copyright refers to the work, not a digital
representation, so that most forms of scaling a digital image or
format changes will not create a derivative, but simply a
representation of the same work.

However, this is less unambigous for reduction of color scale.

Background: Some members of the German Wikipedia discuss to allow
non-free ND licenses in certain cases (specifically where the English
Wikipedia is using images under fair use, e.g. book/CD/DVD covers).
One discussion about allowing non-free licenses is whether this would
require re-users to print in color. The reproduction of a colored work
as grayscale or black and white is seen by some as a substantial
change that results in a derivative work.

I wonder whether CC 4.0 could add a clarification to the ND clause,
that simple, algorithmic reductions of the color depth of still or
moving images is not considered a derivative work.

Gregor