cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Simplifying Licenses

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Arthit Suriyawongkul <arthit AT gmail.com>
  • To: Development of Creative Commons licenses <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Simplifying Licenses
  • Date: Tue, 3 Mar 2009 02:31:47 +0700

On Mon, Mar 2, 2009 at 10:12 AM, ⸘Ŭalabio‽ <Walabio AT macosx.com> wrote:
>        CC-BY-SA is the GoldStandard of licenses.  In a perfect world,
> everything would be CC-BY-SA
>
>        CC-BY-NC-SA is the necessary evil.  We should discourage it but allow
> it.

>From the consumer point of view, I myself see little difference between
by-sa and by-nc-sa, as even by-sa doesn't restrict the commercialization,
the sa condition provide an alternative to the commercial anyway.

So from the consumer point of view, there's virtually no difference
in terms of free access to the same information.
But, yes, from the copyright holder point of view, there's a major difference,
by-nc-sa provide the holder the rights to monopolize the commercialization.

So it depends on which point you looking from.
And it should be copyright holder who has freedom to decide.

But in general, if being asked for a consultation which license to choose,
I prefer to encourage ppl to took by-sa over by-nc-sa.

And although it constitute a "non-green license" (approved for free
cultural works), I do see necessity of nd.

6 licenses as they are now is good for me.
But it would be nice if we can put some 'recommendation'
(extending from what we currently do with 'green'/'yellow' color code).

cheers,
Art