cc-licenses - [cc-licenses] Simplifying Licenses

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: ⸘Ŭalabio‽ <Walabio AT MacOSX.Com>
  • To: cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [cc-licenses] Simplifying Licenses
  • Date: Mon, 2 Mar 2009 03:12:04 +0000

¡Hello!

¿How fare you?

It is great that we have these modular licenses, but the lawyers have gone to far in creating a module for everyone. The idea of the licenses is to increase freedom. One can argue that NC is a necessary evil:

Let us suppose that one runs a wiki about a TV-show and does not want to get sued by the suehappy lawyers of the corporation who created the franchise. One can point out that the wiki is licensed CC-BY-NC-SA. Hopefully that will deter the lawyers.

ND has no justification. We should eliminated ND. Indeed we can reduce the number of licenses to just 3:

* - CC-BY
* - CC-BY-SA
* - CC-BY-NC-SA

CC-BY cuts with everything. It is the perfect license for material whose purpose to be incorporated in other works.

CC-BY-SA is the GoldStandard of licenses. In a perfect world, everything would be CC-BY-SA

CC-BY-NC-SA is the necessary evil. We should discourage it but allow it.

We should deprecate all other licenses.

¿Any comments?

¡Peace!

--

“⸘Ŭalabio‽” <Walabio AT MacOSX.Com>

The first Intactivistic wiki on Earth devoted to Peaceful Beginnings:

* - HTTP://PeaceFulBeginnings.Org/

* - HTTP://IntactWiki.Org/