cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] CC0 beta/discussion draft 2

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Mike Linksvayer" <ml AT creativecommons.org>
  • To: "Development of Creative Commons licenses" <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] CC0 beta/discussion draft 2
  • Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2008 15:52:49 -0700

On Fri, Apr 18, 2008 at 3:23 PM, John Hendrik Weitzmann
<jhweitzmann AT mx.uni-saarland.de> wrote:
> @Mike: Can CC0 as a construct live with "worth a try (but might turn out
> not to work)"?

Speaking only for myself (and of course as a non-lawyer), I want CC0
to make a best effort to waive all rights that are possible to waive,
with the understanding that effectively this will leave the user with
more rights in some jurisdictions than others given the impossibility
of waiving some rights in some jurisdictions. As geni mentioned, part
of the inspiration (again speaking only for myself) is the very simple
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:PD-Self and similar on
Wikipedia:

"I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby release it into the
public domain. This applies worldwide.
In case this is not legally possible,
I grant any entity the right to use this work for any purpose, without
any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law."

I'll leave it to you lawyers to work out the details. :)

Mike