cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] CC0 beta/discussion draft feedback and next step

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Mike Linksvayer" <ml AT creativecommons.org>
  • To: "Development of Creative Commons licenses" <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] CC0 beta/discussion draft feedback and next step
  • Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2008 16:59:51 -0800

On 2/16/08, geni <geniice AT gmail.com> wrote:
> On 16/02/2008, Mike Linksvayer <ml AT creativecommons.org> wrote:
> > We hope these changes will help clarify messaging and make it easier
> > for us to build -- with your help -- the simplest and most effective
> > tools for global usage.
>
> Been done:
> http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Copyright_tags#Public_domain
>
> Asserting public domain is of limited use because the law changes and
> then I don't know know how the law changed will impact the media
> you've declared to be PD. To be useful you need to explain why you
> think something is PD.

Absolutely. Encouraging the use of descriptive metadata is the primary
feature of the PD assertion half of this effort. As you can see from
the second assertion screen of
http://labs.creativecommons.org/license/zero (outdated until the next
beta version around the end of March), part of the process will be to
collect facts about the work that pertain to whether it might be in
the public domain somewhere and publishing those facts with the
assertion. As a first prototype, we didn't make any attempt to include
more than a couple illustrative reasons.

The Wikimedia Commons copyright tags are fantastic within Wikimedia
... we'll just be duplicating (more or less) that ontology for use
anywhere.

I should also note that PD-Self, in particular the "In case this is
not legally possible" part, is my personal inspiration for the CC0
waiver (others who have worked on it have other inspirations of
course, and I'm not even involved in the actual legal work).

Mike