cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] [Commons-l] Requirements for a strong copyleft license

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: drew Roberts <zotz AT 100jamz.com>
  • To: Development of Creative Commons licenses <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] [Commons-l] Requirements for a strong copyleft license
  • Date: Sun, 2 Dec 2007 15:49:14 -0500

On Sunday 02 December 2007 08:57:38 Brianna Laugher wrote:
> On 02/12/2007, Gregory Maxwell <gmaxwell AT gmail.com> wrote:
> > If a visual artist doesn't want copyleft for images they should just
> > use CC-BY (or better, 'PD').
> >
> > The purpose of copyleft is to help expand the pool of free content
> > with a tit-for-tat mechanism. 'Weak copyleft' simply isn't
> > interesting in terms of its ability to achieve this goal.
>
> Is "weak copyleft" not comparable to the LGPL? LGPL appears to have a
> place; why not "weak copyleft"?

Here you can find the FSF's stated reasoning behind the lgpl and when it
should be used over when to use the gpl instead:

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/why-not-lgpl.html

Is there some similar strategic reasoning that we can see to benefit from
both
in the same way?

"Proprietary software developers have the advantage of money; free software
developers need to make advantages for each other."

How can we make advantages for each other using strong and weak copyright
licenses?

> > The question of "does anyone here want a weak copyleft license" is
> > just the far more interesting one...
> >
> > I do not believe there is any point to having a copyleft license for
> > media which isn't strong. Does anyone here disagree?
>
> At the risk of being stoned... yeah.
> I just don't consider an article that uses a photograph of mine as
> illustration to be a a derivative of my work.
> I don't want an article, blog or book author to have to license their
> whole text under CC-BY-SA just because they use my image.
> HOWEVER, I do want them to be obliged to make explicit the license of
> my work, that is offer it to others under the same conditions. My
> work, not theirs. That is how I think "weak copyleft" differs from
> CC-BY or PD.

Whereas I want to have the same freedoms with their copyrighted work which
incorporates mine as they enjoy with mine. This means a Free license at least
unless there is some strategic reason that I can see for the community or for
myself.