cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] [Commons-l] Requirements for a strong copyleft license

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Javier Candeira <javier AT candeira.com>
  • To: Development of Creative Commons licenses <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc: Mike Godwin <mgodwin AT wikimedia.org>, Lawrence Lessig <lessig AT pobox.com>, Wikimedia Commons Discussion List <commons-l AT lists.wikimedia.org>, Wikimedia Foundation Mailing List <foundation-l AT lists.wikimedia.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] [Commons-l] Requirements for a strong copyleft license
  • Date: Sun, 02 Dec 2007 20:52:27 +1100

Gregory Maxwell wrote:
> I do not believe there is any point to having a copyleft license for
> media which isn't strong. Does anyone here disagree?

I do, my photos are by-sa but newspaper using them for illustration doesn't
have to be (that's my intention when licensing, at least them), as long as
the photos themselves are labeled with the proper attribution and licensing.

> Certainties the world does not yet YET ANOTHER free content license if
> it can be avoided. The already existing myriad of CC licensing knobs
> already create confusion enough as is. :(

That is true. However, I am very interested in the discussion about this
by-sa+ license: whether it's needed, whether it's legally feasible, and
whether it's strategically a good idea to implement it.

-- jc