cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] [Foundation-l] Requirements for a strong copyleft license

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Benj. Mako Hill" <mako AT atdot.cc>
  • To: Wikimedia Foundation Mailing List <foundation-l AT lists.wikimedia.org>
  • Cc: Mike Godwin <mgodwin AT wikimedia.org>, Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>, Lawrence Lessig <lessig AT pobox.com>, Wikimedia Commons Discussion List <commons-l AT lists.wikimedia.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] [Foundation-l] Requirements for a strong copyleft license
  • Date: Sun, 2 Dec 2007 19:07:46 +0100

<quote who="Delphine Ménard" date="Sun, Dec 02, 2007 at 01:11:09PM +0100">
> In short I see four steps:
> - WMF is saying "sure we'll look at it if you make the licenses compatible"
> - WMF requests that GFDL be changed to allow mass migration to CC-BY-SA
> - When these changes occur, community discussion and vote will follow
> - Finally the WMF will say yes or no (I suppose of course by taking
> into consideration the community discussion and vote(s) )
>
> Your shortcut "WMF will agree pending community approval" does not
> seem to reflect those steps.

Right. My understanding is that the resolution past by WMF is, itself,
the request to the FSF to release a new draft of the license that allows
WMF to migrate to the BY-SA immediately and that any conversation about
whether the WMF will take advantage of that option to switch over will
happen after. Others will be able to use WMF content under BY-SA
regardless of any future decision WMF makes.

I've already forwarded the resolution in question to the FSF board and
ED. I understand that the FSF board approved this migration months ago
(before I was a member). Unless the FSF hears otherwise, things on the
FSF side could happen quite quickly.

If the FSF is supposed to wait for some official request while the WMF
organizes a conversation, that would be good for me to know so I can
relay that to others in the FSF.

Regards,
Mako

--
Benjamin Mako Hill
mako AT atdot.cc

Creativity can be a social contribution, but only in so far
as society is free to use the results. --GNU Manifesto