cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Lawsuit over Virgin Mobile's and Ethical Use

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Charles Iliya Krempeaux" <supercanadian AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts" <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Lawsuit over Virgin Mobile's and Ethical Use
  • Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2007 22:03:59 -0700

Hello,

On 10/2/07, paola.dimaio AT gmail.com <paola.dimaio AT gmail.com > wrote:
Terry

I realy think it is irresponsible to allow a license to use work
without any conditions attached

Most authors that I know would be horrified if their work would be
used 'freely' on a website instigating racial hatred, or war, or some
other aberration

That's the thing about freedom.  People can do whatever they want as long as they aren't taking away someone else's freedom.

There are people who actually believe in that concept.  Not just for themselves.  But for everyone.  That's what liberty is.

(And... just to be clear... I'm not trying to be condescending..,. It's just that I've observed that it seems to be the popular thing for people to say they support "freedom" and "liberty" without knowing what they mean.  You don't have support the concepts of freedom and liberty.  It's a personal choice.)

Going back to the libertarian example again... libertarians would be horrified to hear of force being used on people just for using a "works" (like an image, writing, a song or whatever).

See ya

'Incompabtile, is not my requirement , incompatible is a license that
does not protect my
work against unlawful exploitation

I really think CC should think about that and allow users to chose an
'ethical' license if they so wish

not sure what's the best way to do it

I may have to work of fork, regrettably

pdm