cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] CC vs GPL: how to ensure compatibility and compliance

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Björn Terelius <bjorn.terelius AT gmail.com>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] CC vs GPL: how to ensure compatibility and compliance
  • Date: Tue, 02 Oct 2007 11:24:06 +0200

Many advocates of free software, including Richard Stallman, have
expressed the opinion that the "ethical compulsion" to make software
free is unique to computer programs (or perhaps more generally to
"things of utilitarian rather than aesthetic value", as I would
personally put it), and feel quite comfortable with the idea of
conventional copyright-monopoly-based selling of aesthetic content.

And many advocates -- like myself -- disagree. Of course, we both agree
that the FSF's job is not to get into the middle of this debate except
where it pertains to documentation for software and computer programs
that we we agree need to be free.

And some (like me) don't acknowledge any "ethical compulsion" to make either software or content Free.
I believe licensing any product as free is only useful if you intend to build a community around it. If you don't want to form a community, then a non-free but freely redistributable license is just as good.

-Björn Terelius