cc-licenses - [cc-licenses] whatever happened to the machine-readable RDF microformats?

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Javier Candeira <javier AT candeira.com>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [cc-licenses] whatever happened to the machine-readable RDF microformats?
  • Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2007 13:39:37 +1000

I have been looking for the machine-readable RDF microformats in the
licensing tool in the CC website, but they appear not to be there anymore.

- Have they been retired?
- Have they been superseded by the rel="license" attribute/value pair in the
link to the license that goes in the HTML for human-readable licensing?
- If not, where in the licensing process does a user obtain them?

The FAQ still says they are there, but it could be outdated:

> Why did Creative Commons choose to use the RDF format for its metadata?
>
> Creative Commons looked for the best way to express the intent behind the
> licenses in machine-readable form. We feel that our system provides the
> best of all possible worlds: RDF, XML, and even plain text-based tools can
> easily process our metadata files because we provide them with a structured
> format. But just as XML tools make it easier to process the information
> than text-based ones, RDF ones make it even easier -- so we encourage all
> of our developers to use RDF tools where possible. We're also working with
> the community to provide CC sample code, in many different languages, that
> shows how easy it is to take advantage of the RDF information. We're also
> open to providing converters from RDF to other formats. If you have such a
> tool or would like one, please send information about it to our metadata
> list.

I checked today using the Australia jurisdiction, but I couldn't find it
either using the Spain one a week ago.

Cheers,

Javier