cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Permission to publish a photo of a person

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: James Grimmelmann <james AT grimmelmann.net>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Permission to publish a photo of a person
  • Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2007 10:12:55 -0400

This use sounds a lot like the kind of use that in the U.S. is
considered news reportage. There are doctrines within copyright,
trademark, and right of publicity that try to protect accurate,
illustrative uses, and this one-sentence description makes it sound
pretty good. The image doesn't "take" more than it needs to illustrate
what a sponsor is, by taking Tiger's back you reduce the competition
with the commercial exploitation of his image, the use is educational
and informative, and everything about the use is truthful.

Obviously in light of what I said last time, caution is warranted,
lawyers should be consulted if you want to be sure, and a lot depends on
what form that the publisher gives you to sign says. But I think you
have less to worry about from Nike than from Tiger, and if this is truly
the situation, you have comparatively little to worry about from either.

James

Not speaking as a lawyer, and I really will get back to work now.