cc-licenses - [cc-licenses] Citing

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Jan Adams" <jadams AT cesa10.k12.wi.us>
  • To: <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [cc-licenses] Citing
  • Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2007 11:06:54 -0500

Hello,

I would like some assistance citing Creative Commons work. I found the following information on the website but it would be useful to see a couple of examples of how to cite a CC license in relationship to the work. Also, if anyone has examples of such citations in an APA or MLA format I would like to see them.

If you could respond to me directly, I would appreciate it.

Thank you.

Below information is from the CC website:

How do I properly attribute a Creative Commons licensed work?

If you are using a work licensed under one of our core licenses (Attribution, Attribution-ShareAlike, Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike, Attribution-NonCommerical, Attribution-NoDerivatives, Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives (this is the same as the Music Sharing license)) or under our Developing Nations license, then the proper way of accrediting your use of a work when you're making a verbatim use is: (1) to keep intact any copyright notices for the Work; (2) credit the author, licensor and/or other parties (such as a wiki or journal) in the manner they specify; (3) the title of the Work; and (4) the Uniform Resource Identifier for the work if specified by the author and/or licensor.

You also need to provide the Uniform Resource Locator for the Creative Commons license that applies to the work, together with each copy of the work that you make available.

If you are making a derivative use of a work licensed under one of our core licenses or under the Developing Nations license, in addition to the above, you need to identify that your work is a derivative work, ie. “This is a Finnish translation of the [original work] by [author]” or “Screenplay based on [original work] by [author].”

If you are sampling a work licensed under one of our Sampling licenses you should credit derivative works you create using those samples by saying something along the lines of: “Remix of the [original work] by [author]” or “Inclusion of a portion of the [original work] by [author] in collage.”

Jan Adams

Cooperative Educational Service Agency 10

725 W. Park Avenue

Chippewa Falls, WI 54729

Phone 715.720.2069

Fax 715.720.2070

 jadams AT cesa10.k12.wi.us

http://www.cesa10.k12.wi.us/services/imc/

Education is not filling a pail, but lighting a fire.

      -William Butler Yeats

  • [cc-licenses] Citing, Jan Adams, 08/28/2007