cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Image privacy

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Wolfgang Wander" <wwcsmail AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts" <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Image privacy
  • Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2007 18:43:40 -0400

Or a related example.  Take a picture in a Zoo that allows private photography
but explicitly disallows commercial usage of the pictures.  Can I still release
the picture under CC-BY-SA?  Isn't it my responsibility as the author to chose
the license that is compatible with my own rights on the picture?

For the example here - can I release under a non-NC license if
I don't have a corresponding release (from the zoo or your subject)?

> Potentially, this language would be binding if you *were also* the
> subject (an interesting point I would love to hear a more expert opinion
> about), but otherwise, no.

This is the exact case I am pondering here. So far, I don't do a lot of
pictures with people in them for CC licenses because of my uncertainty.

Similar issues with movie footage I have shot. I have to come to grips with
these issues at some point I guess. I have not seen much discussions in this
area. Is no one operating in this area? Or is no once concerned? Or are most
people blissfully ignorant of the implications?