cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] just share alike

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Evan Prodromou <evan AT prodromou.name>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] just share alike
  • Date: Tue, 15 May 2007 09:53:27 -0400

On Mon, 2007-14-05 at 17:10 -0700, Dana Powers wrote:

> But it is precisely this status quo that Creative Commons licensing
> hopes to avoid. The confusing maze of rights clearance is a
> significant barrier to distribution and reuse of creativity. By
> clearly pointing users to a rights holder and to a permission-granted
> license, CC licensors help hack away at the copyright mess.
>
> To me this is the beauty of CC licensing, and I hope you will think
> carefully before discarding this deeply important piece of the
> commons.

It would be nice if you didn't have to use the URL, but could just use
the name of the license ("Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0")
or even the "initials" ("CC by-sa 3.0").

In 2007, it seems that the CC brand is well-known enough, at least to
Internet people, that it's really not necessary to include the URL. For
non-Internet people, including an URL isn't going to help, anyways.

One of my favourite Open Source licenses, the Academic Free License,
requires this language:

Licensed under the Academic Free License version 3.0

-Evan