cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] just share alike

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Dana Powers" <dana.powers AT gmail.com>
  • To: mattdraghi AT hotmail.com
  • Cc: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] just share alike
  • Date: Mon, 14 May 2007 17:10:44 -0700

Sorry to jump in so late, but I noticed that no one had addressed this
comment.

It is true that not requiring copiers to display or link to the CC
license under which your work is available is legally quite similar to
the status quo.

But it is precisely this status quo that Creative Commons licensing
hopes to avoid. The confusing maze of rights clearance is a
significant barrier to distribution and reuse of creativity. By
clearly pointing users to a rights holder and to a permission-granted
license, CC licensors help hack away at the copyright mess.

To me this is the beauty of CC licensing, and I hope you will think
carefully before discarding this deeply important piece of the
commons.

All the best,
Dana