cc-licenses - [cc-licenses] CC licenses for software

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Björn Terelius <bjorn.terelius AT gmail.com>
  • To: cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [cc-licenses] CC licenses for software
  • Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2007 17:48:19 +0200

Hi.

I have read the FAQ and seen that licensing software under the Creative Commons' licenses isn't recommended. Instead they recommend using GPL. While I agree that the GNU GPL is a very well written license and suitable for many projects, I do not think that it is right for every project. In particular, the GPL does not allow "extensions" like BY, ND, and NC. In fact, no FSF or OSI certified license whatsoever allow ND. This cause a lot of problems for the developers and ultimately for the users, because each freeware developer end up writing their own license agreement.

I think it would be great if there were versions of the CC licenses suitably adapted for software. This would give developers more flexibility in license conditions, without forcing them to write their own (often ambiguous) agreements. Is there any work in progress to do this? What would be required to make the CC licenses suitable for software?

Best regards
-Bjorn Terelius

  • [cc-licenses] CC licenses for software, Björn Terelius, 04/03/2007