cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] New licensing buttons

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Mike Linksvayer <ml AT creativecommons.org>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] New licensing buttons
  • Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2007 13:56:41 -0700

On Mon, 2007-04-02 at 13:41 -0700, Mike Linksvayer wrote:
> I suggested some better practices at the bottom of
> https://lists.ibiblio.org/sympa/arc/cc-community/2007-February/001579.html
>
> If I were you I would encourage people to use the standard CC
> buttons/link and a free button that could be placed alongside
> the CC
> license button and would link to something like
> http://freedomdefined.org/check
>
> The code at that URL would scrape the referrer. If content at
> the
> referrer includes a link to an approved license, the user gets a
> page explaining why the license is free, if not they get warned
> of a bogus usage of the free button and encouraged to use a
> really free license.
>
> Actually, if I were you :-) I'd probably come up with a single set of logos
> that don't mention a specific license for use as above, especially given
> that you've defined some requirements (source) that aren't inherent in
> several of the qualifying licenses or public domain.

Furthermore, I don't know of *any* license that by itself requires a
licensee meet *all* four of the requirements under "Defining Free
Cultural Works", so it really seems that attempting to bundle license
notification and marker of status as a free work together is suboptimal.

--
http://wiki.creativecommons.org/User:Mike_Linksvayer