cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] New licensing buttons

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Lucas Gonze" <lucas.gonze AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts" <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] New licensing buttons
  • Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2007 00:09:58 -0700

On 4/1/07, Gregory Maxwell <gmaxwell AT gmail.com> wrote:
On 4/2/07, Lucas Gonze <lucas.gonze AT gmail.com> wrote:
> The "Availability of source data" plank strikes me as a problem,
> because it is burdensome. Authors should be able to make a processed
> version free without being required to include their sources.

A work leaves the realm of the free if it can not be effectively
extended or enhanced because someone along the chain of distribution
reduced it to some some effectively obfuscated data losing form.

I understand why you're doing it. I'm telling you that it won't work.
It requires way too much labor.

Anyway, the plank isn't even clearly drafted. Do I have to make a
snapshot of my hard drive in case future creators need to figure out
how my OS supported the software that interpreted the source file?
How about my CPU, don't I have some obligation to make that available?

Not that I'm completely against what you're working on, just that I
think this part of if it is broken.

-Lucas