cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Canadian Rights?

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Peter Brink <peter.brink AT brinkdata.se>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Canadian Rights?
  • Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2007 11:34:34 +0100

Donnie to Z skrev:
I live in Canada, have a novel coming out soon, and am considering making it available as a free download. Does choosing a Canadian licence put my rights at risk in other countries (especially the US)?

Your rights as a creator are guaranteed in foreign countries by international agreements, such as the Berne Convention (BC) and TRIPS. Each member nation of the BC agrees to grant foreign copyright holders a minimum set of rights which is laid out in the convention (it is in fact possible to grant native copyright holders less rights than foreign under the BC but I don't know of any such case). In fact the license does not affect _your rights_ at all. You can, for example, license your work in other ways as well if you wish.

What you do when you issue a CC license is to grant users of your works some rights they would otherwise not have. As Dana pointed out the license is meant to be enforceable worldwide. It might not have exactly the same effect, i.e. the grants may work somewhat differently from jurisdiction to jurisdiction, but it's (as far as we know) enforceable world wide.

/Peter Brink