cc-licenses - [cc-licenses] Clarification needed - Copyleft AND Share-Alike with Images

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: wolfgang wander <wwc AT lns.mit.edu>
  • To: cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [cc-licenses] Clarification needed - Copyleft AND Share-Alike with Images
  • Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2007 19:03:46 -0500

Now the question has come up here before twice this month and the
lack of definitive answers is actually quite frightening. The two
very explicit questions are

Is is ok to combine CC-by-SA licensed images with non-free editorial
text? (Erik Moeller)

And

Are the share-alike Creative Commons licenses intended to increase
the pool of similarly licensed works by utilizing the pool of
share-alike work as an incentive for the creators of new content to
release their work under a free license? (Gregory Maxwell)

Very close to home for me: I as a photographer who made his work
available under CC-by-SA (so that my images can be use on wikipedia) am
a little bit astonished that it should be possible to use my images in
non-free articles and web publications.

Photographs per se are hardly ever used to derive from to generate other
images but are a rather expensive commodity for editorial use. My
images on wikimedia should not be in the business to compete with stock
photography agencies and I believe no photographer would chose cc-by-sa
over a non-sa license if they would also agree to a then "free as in
beer" usage of their work.

After all the Share Alike clause in your short cc-by-sa description
claims 'Share Alike. If you ..., BUILD UPON THIS WORK' which I clearly
understand as an inclusion of my images in editorial content.

A clarification is most urgently needed.

Thanks,
Wolfgang