cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Version 3.0 -- It's Happening & With BY-SA CompatibilityLanguageToo

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: tomislav medak <to-me AT mi2.hr>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Version 3.0 -- It's Happening & With BY-SA CompatibilityLanguageToo
  • Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2007 17:57:21 +0100

hey terry, hey others,

sorry, i can't keep up with the pace of the discussion here due to time
constraints - and writing in english doesn't help time-effectiveness
either.

in my initial post i played the devil's advocate a little because wanted
to stress that the concept of 'free' in the debate around CC will remain
volatile for as long as we don't have an accepted definition of what it
is. and i think we need to have that debate. so, while we have a
relatively coherent set of norms (in GNU, DSFG, Wikipedia, freedom
defined) defining 'free', on the other side of the free/non-free divide
we draw there are users and advocates of CC who have substantial grounds
to interpret that freedoms that come with NC and ND licenses are
substantial enough to call those licenses free. and these users and
advocates are many.

i have no misconceptions about the net effect that CC's agnosticism and
case-insensitive statements about free culture produce, but there's also
a large community of users and advocates who are not CC themselves and
who might think different than people who come from the free software. i
think that engaging the other side in a debate on 'the standard of
freedom' would be useful. we can't force issues - for instance, the
unrelenting attitude of debian on DRM provisions in CC licenses caused
some grievance with the community. CC as entity should not be the only
addressee of the request not to dilute the meaning of 'free' as in 'free
software'. there are others who are implicated and who are part of the
issue.

i agree that NC was a bad idea, because it gives false assurance that
the model of analog economy can be maintained, but it can't if you cross
into the digital. lots of the misgiving creators might have with
allowing commercial use (free riding, people making money from their
work...) can be dispelled by arguing the positive limitation of giving
back that SA creates. NC-SA is a real paradox from that perspective -
getting less from the traditional model and preventing oneself from
getting more from the new economic model.

so, i need to run, but let me reiterate once again - while we might want
to differentiate BY and BY-SA from other CC licenses, doing that through
terms 'free' and 'non-free' won't fly without a debate. CC-world simply
was not initially constituted on the norms of free software...

ciao,

tom

PS. while it might be true that CC logo means nothing, individual
license buttons with metadata are very precise.