cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] CC-BY-RY?

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Rob Myers <rob AT robmyers.org>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] CC-BY-RY?
  • Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2007 14:57:41 +0000

Audun Myhra Bergwitz wrote:
Wouldn't one solve the problems with NC by rather having a commercial
license based on percentages? Ie something which says that you're free
to use this any way you like, but if you make any money by the use you
owe me X % of that in royalties (RY). Any percentage of 0 is 0, so then
non-commercial would be anything where there's royalties=0?

I've just read "Promises To Keep" and the "Alternative Compensation System" proposed in that uses a percentage system for derivative works.

This isn't how Fair Use currently works though, so I'm not particularly keen on it, even though I do see how it looks fairer than a world in which the only options are NC and ARR.

- Rob.