cc-licenses - [cc-licenses] airplay royalties

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Lucas Gonze" <lucas.gonze AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts" <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [cc-licenses] airplay royalties
  • Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2006 13:05:54 -0500

Over at http://www.dyinggiraffe-recordings.com/faq.php I came across this bit:

"What should I know about Creative Commons?
There are some things you should be aware of. Creative Commons
licences are of unlimited duration, so once a work that is licensed
here it can no longer be changed. Registering this work with a
copyright organisation is not possible either, as a result of which,
as is currently the case, no royalties can be received for airplay. "

I think that that statement about airplay royalties is flat wrong, but
this depends on the scope of a CC license. My understanding is that
CC applies only a specific encoding of a file and not to the
underlying composition or sound recording. Yes?

  • [cc-licenses] airplay royalties, Lucas Gonze, 12/31/2006