cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Parallel Distribution Statement

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Rob Myers <rob AT robmyers.org>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Parallel Distribution Statement
  • Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2006 23:48:56 +0000

Francesco Poli wrote:

So, if you choose to make the source available at the time of the binary
distribution (option a), you then have no other obligations in the
future.

If you distribute the binary with the source you have no further obligations. However it is not sufficient to simply have both "available", you must actually distribute them together. See the GPL FAQ:

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#WhatDoesWrittenOfferValid

If I have misunderstood this then I apologise.

This is an important issue. If you think that the parallel
distribution clause should be rewritten to require longer
availability more explicitly, that's a great topic to discuss.

Taking what I said above into account, I don't think that introducing
such a restriction to the parallel distribution proviso would be a good
idea.

Yes. I have mentioned why I do not think this would be a good idea for the CC licenses. I should add that I *personally* wouldn't mind it. :-)

[...]
That said, my understanding of the GPL's availability clause is that
one can either "accompany" the work with source (and thus, the
availability can terminate immediately) or offer to provide source
for three years (still well shorter than many of the "all
unencumbered copies have been lost" scenarios being offered to argue
against parallel distribution).

It seems that your understanding is right: see above.

Certainly the availability of source can end as soon as binary availability ends. But it's difficult to separate availability of the two, as it should be.

- Rob.