cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Lawyers aren't humans

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Bob Morris <ram AT cs.umb.edu>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Lawyers aren't humans
  • Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2006 16:48:48 -0500

"You have to write clearly in order to understand where your mistakes in thinking are."
Attributed to Hugo Bedau, Professor Emeritus of Philosophy, Tufts University

Jim Sowers wrote:
When I was in law school, back in 1986 ;-( I took a contract writing
class. It had a lasting effect on me. We practiced writing in plain
English -- the teacher worked for Bank of America, and because they had lost
some cases because courts had found their contracts to be unintelligible to
the average consumer (the other party to the contract), BofA found religion
and started re-writing their contracts.

We studied a law review article by Richard Wydick, Plain English for
Lawyers, which is now in its 3rd edition as a book, and which I mentioned in
an earlier post to this list. The SEC has also imposed a "plain English"
requirement on filings. I think CC has done a pretty good job on this front
(with the notable exception of the excessive, and I would argue improper,
use of the word "such" as a definite article, see my earlier post).

Nevertheless, I think the line at the bottom of the deed that reads "This is
a human-readable summary ..." is unfortunate. Obviously, CC intends to say
that it is a simple summary for non-lawyers. Some will think that I'm being
too sensitive here, however, I believe that using the term "human-readable",
aside from reinforcing some of the nastier stereotypes about lawyers, also
reinforces the idea that lawyers use a different, incomprehensible
language. I find that two types of lawyers tend to do so: those not
confident enough to make things simple -- e.g., afraid to replace "any and
all" with just "any", and those who are pompous and throw in every
heretofore and therewith to add to the cloak of mystery around what it is to
practice law. Finally, some of the worst examples come from non-lawyers
trying to "write like lawyers".

Thus, I would change the terminology to reflect "summary" v. "detailed"
rather than "human" v. "lawyer" -- as even the detailed documents should be
eminently readable by humans; those are the kinds of documents really good
lawyers write.

Jim Sowers
Lawyer :-) (DJ, Dance Teacher, Motorcycle Adventurer)