cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] choosing a new license at freesound, please help

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Bram @ Freesound" <freesound AT iua.upf.edu>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] choosing a new license at freesound, please help
  • Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2006 09:57:38 +0200

Hello Everyone,

so, ok, I understand some of the (good) reasons to be against Attribution, and even more reasons to be against Attribution-NonCommercial. But, pandora's box is open, and the 822 people (and rising) who have submitted to freesound will want to *choose* a new license for their currently Sampling+ released content, and new people will need to be able to choose at least between.

I would like to support PD, BY and BY-NC...

It would be great if you guys could come up with a list of single-phrase sentences which would help the 'modal' user understand the bad points and good points of PD, BY and BY-NC.

Afterwards I will present the user of freesound with a simple list of choices, and list the bad/good points of each license next to it, with a nice monkey-proof "degree of freedom" sticker going from pd => 'very free' to by-nc => 'very restrictive'. ;-)

I prefer simpleness to completeness. I liked some of the anti-nc examples like "If you were a font-creator, would you want to be able to decide what's written with your font?". Examples like this are easy to understand by the modal user...

It will be impossible to please everyone: I think letting people choose from *all* CC licenses is *way* too hard for "them". The only thing I can do is offer all good/bad points and let the user choose. Hopefully, given enough reasons users will select public domain.

cheers,

- bram